Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Goodwill Fireplace Reveal.....FINALLY :)

Can you tell I am a little bit EXCITED!! I have sooo been wanting a Fireplace in my living room FOREVER!!

Low and behold my favorite Goodwill (HI ladies...:) ) had this perfectly working electric fireplace and solid oak mantle.

They had just marked it down from 100 bucks....How could I turn that down...Well.... I couldn't...:) So the hubby got home and didn't even kill me when he saw it sitting in the garage. I got that sucker out of my truck all by my lonesome because I am so impatient. Well of course the snow started flying that night so I had to work in the garage. (Hubby was thrilled...LOL) I first started by painting the brass with a hammered bronze paint. Guess what we had for dinner that night..Hahahaha..:)

Then I got to sanding her down and priming.

When she was dry I painted her and waited her to dry so I could distress and wax her.



Then, again, all by my lonesome I dragged her in the house to see where she was gonna go. This is where I found out I was gonna have to sweet talk the hubby into cutting the trim..:) He is much better at cutting exact cuts.



So he pulled off the trim and got to work.



We got her positioned where she needed to go and then it was my turn to do filling of nail holes and touch up of paint.

Then the fun stuff....Decorating. I normally don't decorate this early for Christmas, but as Thanksgiving is only a week away I decided to forgo the Turkey day decor and jump right to the Christmas decor, since it takes me a week to set it all up anyway.

Here you can see the awesome trim work the hubby did to make it look like the mantle was built right into the wall.

Here are some shots of the detail.



I am so excited to have the fireplace going during our long cold winters here in Michigan, and even more so to Holidays with the Christmas tree and fire going. I am a happy camper.
I hope you all have a wonderful day and super duper Holidays!!!
Posted by Picasa
http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/
http://www.perfectlyimperfectblog.com/2011/11/the-military-desk-an-all-things-furniture-link-up.html
http://missmustardseed.com/2011/11/3079/
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Addicted-2-Decorating/227603822606
 http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/2011/11/tutorials-tips-link-party-37.html

24 comments:

imsteelefullofscrap said...

Wow it looks wonderful on your room you scored great at the GW!!!

Cassie Bustamante said...

what a great find! it is beautiful!

reFresh reStyle said...

OH MY! I love it! Wish our Goodwill had one! Great job!
Debbie

Michell @ Girl In Air said...

It looks fabulous!! Just like a built in and perfect for Santa to come down!!

Love it:-)

Unknown said...

Very cool! I can't believe how far electric fireplaces have come. It really transformed your room, just in time for some more flurries tonight. I love the combination of the bronze w the color you painted it too - just awesome!

Shelly

Jes ♥ said...

Wow! What an awesome find! I've been looking for one of these for a few years! I hope I come across a great deal like these sometime soon! Looks great painted the White color!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

That is fabulous! You did a wonderful job redoing this piece. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Great find! It looks great in white. I love the Christmas decorations too! I am having a hard time resisting the urge to put mine up right now. :)

Chandra said...

I'm excited with/for you too! I love the idea of repurposing/recycling things we've thrifted and this one turned out quite nicely. Found you by way of the artsy girl connection.

Tami@NutmegNotebook said...

Great job! My parents have that same fireplace in their family room and it does a nice job of heating things up.

Jennifer said...

This is truly incredible! You made that fireplace look so much prettier! I love it! Would you link it up to my party?

http://daysofchalkandchocolate.blogspot.com/2011/11/latest-and-greatest-friday-6-and.html

Becki's Whole Life said...

I saw this on Cafe D's linky party. When I first saw your pic, I thought that the fireplace was actually flush with the wall - it looks absolutely amazing. I love going to the Goodwill and Garage sales because you just never know what you will find. This is a great buy and you did a great job fixing it up!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

WOW! What an amazing find and an even more amazing transformation. It's stunning!!! Thanks for sharing at this week's BFF Open House!

WhyCuzICan said...

KARIN! Merry Christmas to YOU, EARLY! Suchhhh a good deal!!

Nice transformation too!

Now Santa will not have to come in the house thru the door with his "special key".

Smiles from this Follower,
Suzanne in NW IL
(Visiting from my dashboard)

Anonymous said...

Your fireplace is just beautiful and you have decorated it so well. I wish you many many happy evenings in front of it!

Kim@todayismysome-day said...

What a great Goidwill find! And you did a wondrful Job painting and installing! Bravo!

Kim
Www,todayismysome-day.blogspot. Com

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Nice find. It looks great.

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

What a find! Thanks so much for linking it up to my Saturday Seven Party. I'll be featuring this tonight!

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Wow. Great score with fabulous results. I also love reading that you punted the Thanksgiving flair for Christmas. I was so relieved to know that other people dedicate a week to this undertaking as well. :0 Thanks so much for linking this up to Motivated Monday.
Pam

Carrie said...

Amazing! And wow, what a great deal on the mantle. Gotta love Goodwill!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Lookie there!
Your post was featured in our Friday FREE-FOR-ALL Linky Party!

You can see it at http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/12/friday-free-for-all-linky-party-120211.html

All the best,
~ Dana

Jamie @ Domestically Vintage said...

I'm so glad you shared this old post! The fireplace is such a great find and it turned out beautifully! It looks like perfect! Hope you're feeling better soon. I have the crud as well... :) Have a great day!
~ Jamie

Janel from NellieBellie said...

Lucky Duck!!
How cool is that!
It looks terrific!
Yes, that was alot of exclamation marks. It deserves it!!!!!!!

brendavr said...

it loos awesome I have been waiting a electric fireplace for my living room but boy it is tiny not sure where I would out it I am also in Michigan yes it is freezing here already