Thursday, October 13, 2011

"FRENCH MARKET" SIGN made from leftover table top

I don't know if you guys remember or not, but one of my very first posts was on cutting a table in half and making it into a phone table. You can see that post HERE.

Well being the thrift er that I am, I wouldn't let my Hubby throw away the other half of the table top. He said, and I quote, "what the heck are you going to do with 1/2 of a table top". I said, I dunno, but I know I will do something!!!....:)

Well, when I was SUPPOSE to be cleaning out my work shed, I found said table top and 1/2 a can of orange paint..Inspiration
and distraction...:) hit at the same time. I had no Idea what I was gonna do at the time so I just started spraying. I would let the board and the paint decide.

So I got it painted orange and remembered hearing something on multiple blogs about using glue as a crackle medium. So I ran in and asked my teenager if we had any. :) when the paint was dry I started slopping on the glue and thought...HMMMM, maybe I should actually look up how to do this...:) So I went to elmers website and it was all there.



BEFORE the glue drys you need to put your top layer of paint on, You CANNOT use spray paint for the top! I am so glad I read that somewhere. I went and grabbed my acrylics and mixed up a squash yellow that I thought would go nicely with the orange.


Now being the impatient person I am, I went and grabbed the blow dryer, just so I could watch the crackle happen faster...:) I loved how it turned out. Now for a graphic......duuuhhhhh!! I thought about "farmers market" "grocery" or something like that.
But pretty much I love EVERYTHING French. So you guessed it, I decided on FRENCH MARKET. :)
I used my word processing program and typed out the font I wanted . I then used my carbon paper to transfer the font to the sign. I used my Mars Black acrylic paint and painted it on.
When that was dry, I took it outside the next morning and "sanded the crap out of it" :) Making sure to gouge and rip off some of the paint, to make it look authentic.

I then took a dark walnut stain and went over the whole sign to age any exposed wood. When that was dry I gave it a quick coat of spray poly. It is hanging in my kitchen now and I LOVE IT!! Just think, cleaning out the shed (its still dirty) led to this. I love how I had no idea what I was doing when I started and it all turned into this. Just like a painting, I let it decide.

I hope you all have a BEAUTIFUL day. I know I will, sipping my coffee, looking at my sign over my kitchen sink....:) Now about those dishes; where the heck did the maid go???"? :)



http://www.homestoriesatoz.com/2011/10/tutes-tips-not-to-miss-31-and-tutorials-tips-tuesday-link-party-32.html
Posted by Picasa

17 comments:

reFresh reStyle said...

Send me something out of that shed! I love this, great job! I need a big sign over my back door!! Thanks for the inspiration.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

I love this! I had no idea you could use elmer's as a crackle medium! That will save me money in the future! Great tip! I love your sign!

Tammy said...

It is gorgeous! Great idea with the glue--never heard that one before! Thanks!

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Hi there! I just saw your post on Inspiration Friday. What a great sign!! Very cute! I aum now your newest follower; and I hope you will follow me, too! Blessings to you!

RhettDidntGiveADamn said...

Omg.. I love, love, love it - and that you let nothing go to waste. You go girl!

(new follower here!)

xo

outjunking said...

Thank you for this great idea. I have the two sides of a drop leaf. Now I know what to do. Your newest follower.
Lisa

Ruth said...

I love both the table and this sign. I would have saved the half of the table, too. That's what we thrifty crafters do.

I am having a giveaway on my blog. Hope you can stop by.

Ruth

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Love the sign and it looks perfect over the window! Great job.
Hugs,
Sherry

Unknown said...

I love this sign...you make so many beautiful things. So much inspiration.

Thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment. I'm glad if I have given you some inspiration:)

Annika

Unknown said...

Love, Love, Love your sign. I love the crackle idea and will definitely be trying try it. Your sign is awesome. Great job! I love that you repurposed the table top too.

Unknown said...

Love it! Great job! Would really like for you to share this at my Motivational Monday link party!

http://threemangoseeds.blogspot.com/2011/10/features-2nd-motivational-monday-link.html

Hope to see you there!
Clydia {Three Mango Seeds}

Abby said...

That looks so amazing! The color is beautiful! I love when a cleaning project turns into something fun instead! =)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Oh I love this! What a great idea- thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

*Jeana* said...

I love it..Great job!!I would love for you to share at my "Anything Goes Link Party" http://jeana-marie.blogspot.com/2011/10/anything-goes-link-party.html

Good Time Charlie said...

This looks fantastic! I love all the detailed directions. Will be sharing this tomorrow at my features. Thanks!

Mandy said...

I love your market sign. I have featured it at Project Queen's "Turning the Daunting into the Do-able" Link Party #5 highlights! Don't forget to grab a button! Hope you link up a new project tomorrow. www.projectqueen.org

The Rusty Bucket said...

I can't wait to try your glue tip! Fabulous sign, BTW! Have you ever tried old bread boards? The 'crappy' surface can be interesting.